Lewis and Clark Middle School was named after explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, leaders of the 1804-1806 Corps of Discovery - the first overland United States expedition to the Pacific Coast and back. The Corps traveled the Missouri River, having their first council with Native Americans just north of present day Omaha.
The school opened in 1960. At that time, students chose the name "Trailblazers" and the colors blue and white.
On May 6, 1975 much of the school building was destroyed in a tornado in which a total of three people perished and some 287 homes were destroyed.
Almost one year later classes resumed in a remodeled, improved and air-conditioned facility.
During the Summer of 2012, Lewis and Clark Middle School with its partner school, Central High School, became authorized International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program Schools. Together they are the second IB MYP in the state of Nebraska.
Today, approximately 820 sixth, seventh and eighth grader students attend Lewis and Clark Middle School, a school known for its tradition of academic excellence!